Removing your contact lenses
Again, before you start remember to:
- Ensure your fingernails are short, clean and neatly trimmed.
- Always wash your hands prior to inserting your contact lenses.
- If storing your lenses, remove the lid of the appropriate lens case (right or left) before removing your lens.
- Make sure the lens is on the eye.
For soft contact lens wearers follow these remaining instructions:
- Fig 4
- Look up, keeping your head level. Pull down the lid of your eye with your middle finger.
- Keep looking up and place the tip of your index finger on the lower edge of the lens and slide it down onto the lower white part of your eye.
- Fig 5
- Still looking up, squeeze the lens gently between your thumb and index finger.
- Gently remove the lens from the eye and either discard or clean and store the lens as advised by your Optician.
For rigid gas permeable lens wearers, follow these instructions to remove your lenses:
- Ensure the lens is on your eye.
- Remove the lid of the appropriate lens case (right or left) before removing your lens.
- Looking straight ahead open the eye as wide as possible.
- Place your index finger at the outer corner of the eyelid and pull gently and firmly towards the top of the ear. Blink and the lens should fall out into your other hand.
- Fig 6
- Store the lens as advised by your Optician.