Inserting your contact lenses
Before you start:
- Ensure your fingernails are short, clean and neatly trimmed.
- Always wash your hands prior to inserting your contact lenses.
- Remove the lens from its storage case and ensure it is visibly clean and not damaged.
- Ensure that you only insert your right lens into your right eye and vice versa.
- Fig 1
- Check to see that the lens is the correct way round (your Optician will demonstrate this to you).
- Place the lens on the tip of your right index finger (left index finger if you are left handed).
- Fig 2
- Looking up, place the middle finger of the same hand close to your lower eyelashes and gently pull down the lower eyelid.
- Fig 3
- Looking down, use the fingers of the other hand to lift the upper eyelid.
- Looking at the lens, place it directly on the cornea (centre of the eye).
- Looking down, carefully release the lower lid and then upper lid.
- Keep looking down for a couple of seconds to enable the lens to settle.
- If the lens does not settle remove the lens and seek advice from your Optician.